Whether you’re a professional Event Decorator or just someone who happened to accrue a collection beautiful event linens, you will encounter dreaded storage issues. Protect your investment and preserve home storage spaces by following this guide to keeping your linens looking fresh, clean, and ready years of use!
Prepare for Storage
Always Begin with Clean Linens
Never store dirty linens! The optimal time for cleaning your event linens is as soon as possible after use. Make arrangements for dry cleaning or laundering the next day or as shortly after the event as you can. Just think of cleaning your linens now as a favor you’re doing for your future self! If you aren’t sure of how to clean your linens, you can refer to our Materials and Care Guide. If have any questions about how to care for your linens, please don’t hesitate to contact us!
Remove Any Wrinkles
Ironing or steaming before storage may seem counterintuitive since your event linens will definitely end up with creases from hangers or folding, but trust us, taking the time to press out the wrinkles now will give you a cleaner result later. Hanging linens vertically and steaming, or ironing before storage will make prepping your linens before their next use a breeze!
Choose the Best Storage Method
Where Not to Store Linens
When it comes to home storage space we are often at the mercy of basements, garages, and attics. Unfortunately none of these places are ideal for storing your linens. These storage spaces can be damp, dusty, breeding grounds for mold, moths, or other conditions to ruin event linens. Use caution when choosing containers for storing your event linens. Closed containers can restrict the flow of oxygen, or trap moisture. If you have a large assortment of linens consider investing in a shelving unit, dresser, wardrobe, or closet specifically devoted to storing your linens.
Tips for Linens Storage
Now that your linens are clean, pressed, and have a place to call home, it’s time to get serious about organizing. Store your linens so they are accessible, easy to find, and hard to wrinkle. This will make your next set-up a snap!
• Organize your linens by color so you easily mix-and-match from your collection.
• A quality pant hanger with clips can support the weight of 3 to 4 Chair Covers, saving you space and time spent on ironing in the future!
• A pant hanger with an open side makes an optimal hanger for Tablecloths, Drapes, or other large linens preventing bunching, stress, and wrinkles.
• Empty wrapping paper tubes make a fantastic place for storing rolled tablecloths, sashes, or table runners.
• To avoid having to fold Table Runners or Chair Sashes, wrap them loosely around the bottom of a hanger then secure with a clothespin or bobby pin.
• Bundle Napkins together and tie with a ribbon for easy retrieval.
• Try a scented bar of soap, sachets, or fabric softener sheets in the drawers or wardrobe where you store your linens to keep them smelling fresh! Just take extra precautions to be sure the scented items do not actually touch the linens.
How Do You Organize Your Event Linens
If you have any tips or tricks for storing linens? We would love for you to share your wealth of knowledge with us in the comments or on Facebook!